Message from KUIPs' Chancellor
Alhamdulillah, on March 3rd 2013, the federal government, under the stewardship of Malaysian Prime Minister Dato' Seri Najib Tun Abdul Razak, endorsed the establishment of KUIPs, which is located in the blessed land of Perlis. As an academic institution KUIPs will be subject to the administration of the Perlis Islamic Religion and Malay Customs Council (MAIPs).
KUIPs is a unique educational institution based on fund development and generations of human resources through the concept of the Waqf Education Program (PWP) which is new in Malaysia.
Rationales For The Establishment
Apart from delivering higher education to support human capital development in Malaysia, the rationales for the establishment of KUIPs are:
- to support the aspiration of MAIPs to establish a higher education institution under the subsidiary of MAIPs which is MAIPs Holdings Sdn. Bhd.
- to be a source of inspiration to the Perlis state government in making Perlis an education hub and centre for the acculturation of knowledge as well as Islamic teachings recognized locally and internationally.
- to be an avant garde academic institution that espouses Islamic core values, and will be the preferred choice for Islamic students from Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Timor Leste and Acheh to further their studies.
- to provide a comprehensive curriculum designed to commensurate with Islamic education programmes recognized by KPT, MQA, JPA, JAKIM and other professional agencies.
- to support the federal government's desire for socioeconomic development and human resources in the Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER) through strengthening of the government transformation programme (GTP).
- to enhance the economic development of Perlis through a two-pronged strategy: education and tourism (edu-tourism).
Looking at the needs and the transformation of Islamic education in today's global scenario, the establishment of KUIPs is designed with the following objectives:
- to produce scholars who are knowledgeable in the field of Islamic-based professions and to be leaders in their careers.
- to produce techno da'ie who can guide the community to succeed in both worlds.
- to produce Islamic professionals who are willing to guide the nation to the betterment of both worlds.
- to create Islamic corporate figures who are imbued with knowledge of muamalat and the concept of Islamic sharing.
- to conduct research in the field of religious education via cutting-edge technology and expertise which will bring progress to the Islamic community.
Curriculum And Programmes of Study
KUIPs’ curriculum is designed so that it is equivalent to an Islamic programme recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education. KUIPs will offer 14 programs of study within the first 5 years and 10 new courses in the next five years. Overall, KUIPs will offer two programmes at the foundation level, 4 diploma programmes, 18 degree programmes for undergraduate, and also masters and doctor of philosophy (PHD) programmes through 5 kulliyyahs:
- Centre for Foundation Studies
- Faculty of Islamic Sciences
- Faculty Of Muamalat And Entrepreneurship
- Faculty Of Hospitality And Management
- KUIPs Graduate Centre (KGC)
The establishment of KUIPs comes at a time when the world is experiencing a surge in Islamic renaissance in the fields of business, banking and finance, and with strengths, aspirations and smart strategy, the mission and vision of KUIPs can be achieved. With its motto of Syumul, Dynamic and Taqwa KUIPs is poised to deliver quality affordable education and is certainly capable of spurring Perlis into becoming a top-notched education hub.
Please refer Biography of Tuanku Syed Faizuddin Putra Jamalullail for more information.